Lilypie Waiting to adopt Ticker

Friday, February 15, 2008

Lessons for a Social Worker, a Mommy, and one of God's adopted daughters

This week has been really, really hard. On Sunday afternoon, we had a wonderful opportunity to attend a birthday party/get together for the Mestas' one year old twins. There were a number of families there who have adopted from Ethiopia, including two families who just returned last Wednesday. We got to meet the Martins who just returned with their little Felicity. On Monday, I received my sling that I have been so excited about. I have not been able to find a carrier that seems at all natural, but I love the sling that I ordred from http://www.sleepingbaby.net/index.php. Also, on Monday, Sean and I went to get our taxes done so that we can pay our final payment (due before the court date) for the adoption. We also have pretty much finished the nursery (I'll post pictures later) except for hanging the curtain, hanging one model airplane, and putting the photos in the frames (we have to get more pictures of Isaac and photos of our trip for that). All of these are wonderful things and have been very exciting, but now I just feel we are ready. We plan to finish putting up the siding on Sean's shop this weekend (it is really easy and pretty fast by the way and a lot cheaper than having someone do it). I'm also making really good progress on finishing up the home studies, post placements, and addendums that I have on my plate to finish ASAP. Up until this week, I have pretty much just been chilling out and not having any problems (except for brief fletting moments) just waiting on God to say, okay, it is time to go. This week, however, I have struggled just about hourly. It reminds me very much of the revocation period with Ciara's adoption. Yesterday I had to pull myself together before going into the bank and this morning as I opened up my laptop and saw Isaac's face, I had to pull myself together again. I have always told people that nothing in my life has grown me in my walk with the Lord, like Ciara's adoption. I think I've hit the point in this adoption where God is ready to grow me up some more. For that, I am thankful. One thing that I am understanding so much more clearly is how hard this time period is for my families that I work with. Before, I've felt that I understood pretty well the emotional roller coaster that families experience and to an extent, I think I did understand more than someone who hasn't adopted. Now I understand so much more clearly how hard the wait for a referral is, and then how much harder it gets to wait to receive your child after you have their little faces ingrained into your mind. For my families that I am working with, I can tell you that this experience is helping me to understand how much more I need to be a prayer warrier for each of you. I know that without asking, many of you are lifting us up in your prayers and we are very grateful for that. Please continue to pray for us and that our hearts would be sensitive to what the Holy Spirit has for us to learn during this time. Please also pray for Isaac. I really am not anxious about the care that he is receiving. I know that the staff takes excellent care of the babies and that more importantly, God watches over him every minute of every day. A family who is leaving today has graciously offered to take Isaac his little blankie, our photos, and a letter (I know he can't read it--it was really for me), so he should receive that sometime in the next week. We hope that he will love cuddling his little blankie (the lady at the post office about cried with me when she realized what I was sending, to where, and why).

2 comments:

mama becca said...

Oh your story is so similar to mine! I know... this is heartbreaking. This is a hard, hard wait. We'll be at 5 weeks on Monday. I never, ever imagined we'd wait that long for a court date... maybe I was too optimistic? Or maybe God is growing me up a little more, too. And boy is it painful. But I agree... this will make me PRAY more, and with more passion, for my clients while they wait. I thought I knew... but I wasn't even close.
Anyway... just know that you're not alone, and that we're praying for you, us, and all the other waiters out there... wish we lived a little closer! If the wait gets too much longer, I'm jumping in the car to come visit!
have a good weekend...
becca

Rob and Candy said...

I hear ya sister! I had no idea what it would be like until we went through it with Igor. Praying you will hear something soon.
candy