Lilypie Waiting to adopt Ticker

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Potty Issues

Well, we had a terrific Memorial Day weekend. We had some special family time together and Sean was able to get a lot done on his shop. Monday afternoon we spent shopping (trying to finish decorating prior to the arrival of our second child). We continue to pray about whether or not to take Ciara with us. My reaction to one of the vaccinations concerns us a little, but then I am allergic to about everything, so it isn't a big surprise either. The biggest thing that hit us in the face on Monday, however was the time spent in an enclosed area (the van, which is so roomy compared to an airplane) with a 33 month old and potty issues. I honestly think that God gave Ciara an extra burst of energy to give us a glimpse of what a 22-33 hour (or more depending on layovers) plane ride would be like. I've never, ever, ever heard Ciara talk so much. It was constant questions, comments, and imaginary disasters to avoid with imaginary people (and we were only gone about 7 hours). On top of the constant talking, singing, and questions, there were the potty issues. We stopped somewhere along the way to get a drink, and Ciara downed hers. Well, of course, nature took its course and before long, she told us she had to go potty. Sean took her to the bathroom the first time and she immediately changed her mind and said she would wait until she got home. A little while later, almost in tears and a jog, she told me she had to go. She didn't want to sit on the toilet, but I made her, as we had no change of clothes and she was crying to go to the bathroom, I figured she couldn't possibly hold it any longer. She sat there and refused to go. We then hit Target and she went to her Daddy again, begging to go to the bathroom. Seeing as Sean can move much quicker than I can, he took off jogging with her to the bathrooms (all three so far have been remarkably clean). I can only imagine what people thought. They made it in the bathroom and then she refused again. We then went to eat, our final stop on this journey. While I was getting my food, she managed to get Sean to take her again--this time she refused and Sean said he wouldn't have let her use that one. So then Ciara and I are sitting at the table and Sean is getting his food. She starts squirming all in her chair and starts begging me to take her. Both Sean and I had about had our limit thus far and so I calmly told her that if we entered that bathroom, we were not coming out until she went to potty. Then I went jogging through the Chinese restaurant and plopped her down on that seat so quick she didn't have time to react. She finally went. When we got back to the table, she loudly told the whole restaurant "I did it." Now, you may ask what all of this has to do with thinking about taking Ciara to Ethiopia. Well, we've been informed that 1) carry your own toilet paper. It is not provided and it costs a lot for a few squares, 2) use the bathroom at your hotel before you go anywhere and 3) public restrooms outside of the capital often consists of little more than a trough. Sean and I just laughed and laughed a what Ciara would have to say about such a toilet.

No comments: